Compensation and Benefits
November 29, 2017
Shanghai Community International School (SCIS) is committed to being a community where each member seeks out every opportunity to successfully deliver our mission, "to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring learners who contribute positively to their communities."
To support this effort SCIS offers a highly competitive benefit and salary package, these include:
- Salary: SCIS offers a competitive salary package that reflects the years of experience a faculty member has accrued. For those faculty with 3-8 years our base salary begins at $47,000, at 8-12 years it is $49,000, and for those with more than 13 years of experience, the starting salary is $51,000. Those faculty members with Masters or Doctorate degrees will be provided enhancements of $2,000 or $4,000 to their base salary respectively.
- Host Country Taxes: SCIS will pay, on your behalf, all of the People's Republic of China taxes accrued from your salary.
- Retirement/Personal Savings: All eligible faculty members will receive $3,000.00 in each of the first two years of employment. Thereafter, the payment will increase by $500 per year to a maximum of $5500
- Health Care: SCIS provides international faculty members with major health insurance which offers coverage worldwide, excluding the US (comprehensive emergency care is covered within the US).
- Housing: School Provided Housing for the first school year, and receive a housing allowance to arrange your housing needs for your second year of employment and beyond.
- Airfare: SCIS will provide each teacher with US$3000 for an annual travel supplement upon submission of the airfare receipt, ticket, and boarding pass. An additional supplement is given for one dependent child per teacher (US$ 500 if under the age of 2 and US$ 1250 if age 2 year or older.
- Displacement Allowance: SCIS will pay a displacement allowance of US$1000 for each new teacher upon his/her arrival in Shanghai in August. (first year only)
- Extra Baggage Allowance: SCIS offers a one-time extra baggage allowance for actual costs up to the maximum amount of US$1500 payable after the presentation of applicable receipts (reimbursable for first year only).
- Utilities: SCIS will pay, on your behalf, utility expenses of up to US$1500 per year.
- Transportation Cards: SCIS will provide each faculty member RMB 2,000 (approximately $300) to support their transportation needs.
- Wellness: SCIS will provide each faculty up to RMB2,000 (approximately $300) receipt-based benefit to support health, wellbeing, and general wellness efforts.
- Annual Health Check: SCIS will provide each faculty up to $500 for an annual health checkup.
- Dental Wellness: SCIS will provide each faculty member up to RMB3,000 (approximately $450) receipt-based benefit to support annual dental checkups and health.
- School Provided Lunch: SCIS will provide cafeteria lunch to faculty on all school days.
- Professional Development: SCIS' provides professional development funding on an annual basis. For the initial two year contract, this amounts to $1,000.00 along with access to additional professional development experiences that are covered directly by the school. In a faculty member's third year and beyond they may receive up to $1,500.00 in professional development funding.
- Student Tuition and Fees: All SCIS overseas hired teachers' school-age children have SCIS tuition and fees covered up to two children if both parents are teaching and up to one child for a single teacher or a teacher with a non-teaching spouse. Tuition for additional children above the allowance is provided at a discounted amount. All children must meet admission requirements.
- Technology: SCIS provides each faculty member with the use of a school-owned Apple laptop.
- Leaves of Absence: Personal Leave, Sick Leave, Compassionate Leave, and Professional Leave. Paid Maternity Leave is available after the 2nd year of employment.
- Recruitment Leave: Up to 4 paid recruitment leave days (extended with 1 personal leave day) may be taken by an overseas-hired teacher in his/her third or more year, with pre-arrangement and approval of the Administration.
- Other Benefits: Currently, SCIS teachers receive additional support for wellness initiatives, such as the public transportation and health & fitness allowances.
Additional information about SCIS and its policies can be found on the school's website at www.scis-china.org.